Monday, December 15, 2014

Sometimes Peruvian Men Propose to Me

So this week was eventful, and not. My companion got infected with el gripe (the cold) and we just stayed in our room for three days while she healed. Man, I have never studied so much in my life!
 
So basically everything in our cuarto broke. My drawer. The sink. And the lightbulb in the bathroom went out. It took my comp three lightbulbs to finally get one to work. (She broke the first two...) But we just use the shower as a sink as well. So, missionary life!
 
Tuesday morning, the 9th of December, I was proposed to for the first time in my life. But the real story: We were just walking to breakfast, and white girls are just considered really pretty here, and this one guy crossing the street pointed at me and said, I am going to marry you! (But in Spanish). Don't worry, I said no. Being a missionary is too fun. And I'm just not ready for that step in my life yet. :P Yeah, all the attention here is actually kinda annoying.
But I'm not any better than the Peruvians. Last night, we were walking back to our cuarto from dinner, and there was this guy up ahead of us, so I turn to Hermana Kingsford and ask, "Is he white?" In a normal tone of voice, because I'm used to English being a secret language here. She responds, "I can't tell, let's get closer." So we start walking faster, and she just stares at him as we pass him. He stopped at a garbage can, and was kinda chuckling, so I'm pretty sure he was white, and speaks english. My my comp is still unsure. Yeah...
 
So I also had a moment of glory this week. So near our pension, there's this corner. And this guy stopped us, (and turned out to be a pastor). He then proceeded to try to disprove our religion with wildly misinterpreted scriptures from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon. He used 2 Nephi 29:3-4 which talks about people in our days saying A Bible a Bible, we have no need for more Bible. Or something along those lines. And he tried to say that this couldn't be true because the word Bible didn't exist back then. Because, you know, God doesn't know everything, and revelation doesn't exist or something. He's a pastor! He believes in this stuff too! At least from the time of the Bible... Goodness. He also tried a scripture from the Bible that talks about false prophets and points at our nametags. Yeah... So anyways, my comp was trying to explain scriptures, and he was arguing back. So I finally just butted in and bore my testimony about how I know the Book of Mormon is true through prayer and a witness of the Holy Ghost, not through my own learning. And then I invited him to pray about it, and ask God. And then I said we had an appointment and had to go. It was awesome. My heart was beating though. It's scary to do that in Spanish! It was actually a really awesome moment, but afterwards, my comp and I laughed about it so much. It was such a cliche missionary moment. And she describes it as trumpets sounding, and how I was glowing.
 
So this week we had our Christmas Party with the pres. We got fed the oh so original meal of chicken and french fries (I eat that at least two times a week). Each zone did a skit. Hopefully videos will one day end up on facebook so I can watch them again, because they were funny! One zone did basically a skit of a new missionary, so I related very well. But it was basically hilarious, but probably more so because I'm a missionary.
They also had everyone from each country go up one country at a time and share about their culture and Christmas traditions. It was SO cool to see where everyone was from! Basically most of latin america is covered. And then a bajillion from the USA.We also got ornaments (yay! Continuing traditions!), and a christmas card from the first presidency. And I got to talk to the other sisters in my district. (I love them a lot. So it makes me super happy to see them!)
 
So transfers are this week, and we all thought Elder Wilson was getting transferred, but he's staying. Which means next transfer what will propbably happen is: Elder Wilson will get transferred, Elder Rojas will finish his mission, and my trainer will get transferred. Leaving me the only missionary in my ward, with three new to the area. Yikes! But I have six weeks to prepare. :)
 
That is all.
Love
Hermana Brogan

No comments:

Post a Comment