Thursday, September 17, 2015

A Native Speaker Companion..Woo Hoo!!!!

Okay, this week:
New companion, Hermana Morales, from Cuzco Peru! (And has never been to Macchu Picchu, haha!) She has 7 and a half months, but is basically senior comp, she's so amazing. She teaches great, contacts great, remembers everything, respects the branch president in his calling a ton and knows how to work with the members super well. Basically perfect in every way. On top of that, she's suuuuuper humble. And sweet. And hilarious. We have had so many little adventures this week! Spider killing, throwing tiiiiiiny little pebbles at a menos activa's window who won't come out of her house (so romantic) and getting yelled at by her neighbor, zombie jokes, randomly racing to light posts and corners of streets, knocking doors with a pecan I can't break open that Elder Jensen gave me. It's sooo much fun.
She was telling me a story the other night while waiting at a door. So she and her friend were at the university, and they were walking backwards together, and fell into a  huge hole higher than their heads. They were very famous after that. Well, as she was telling me this story, I thought she knew there was a hole behind her, and that brought up the story. Well, she didn't. And almost fell in. Bah. (That's slang my comp picked up in her only other area, Ascope). Also they end everything with Joven. Ex: They're not their youth! (No hay joven!) I don't know, we just joke around all the time. 
Then we were knocking a dark house the other night, and were commenting, "watch, a dog is going to come out from under the door" (there was a gap of about a foot). As we were saying this, two kittens came out. So my companion chased them around the house to catch them, and held them up. So I acted like Mufasa to pretend to put marks on their foreheads. Ahahaha. As she was trying to catch the second one, she fell and scraped her knee a tiny bit. 

Then the other night we were teaching a 14 year old MA, Keyco. Well, my companion has this cough, and we told Keyco. So Keyco goes and gets this weird bee juice (I really don't know what it is), but it made her throat feel like fire. SO we were saying she'd become a dragon and climb up onto the ceiling. I totally called the ceiling the heavens the other day accidentally. I've been saying the weirdest words with her! I shall create my own language! Muahaha!

Then Saturday, the elders were coming back from Huamachuco (Mom, only us and the elders in Otuzco, 4 in total) We're four. Haha. Well, they had  a baptism, so we ended up planning everything for them. We got to play telephone with a  real phone. No, but really, we were calling SO much! But we had to go set up the font (it's like one of those pools that you put above ground). So we figured that out, and used little metal ladders for the steps to get in. The elders got carsick coming back from Huamachuco, so had to go rest. I got talked into doing the musical numbers (since this transfer started, my voice has gotten really popular with the missionaries. Everyone says I sing well. It all started with Elder Jensen. Then the new hermana Leaders wanted me to sing for them too when they came up for the zone training. So now I sing a ton. Also, we had a goodbye party and a welcome party for the missionaries leaving and going two nights in a row! So much cake. SO much food. How am I not fat after a year in Peru? 

Uhhh, okay the more powerful,
Taught a  lady Carmen yesterday. She was sad, so we hugged her, and promised to pray for her, and promised her that there is refuge in the gospel.

We taught Kati. Her animos are down. (sorry, spanglish, um she's less excited). So we talked to her about the seriousness of the baptismal covenant, and enduring to the end, and how it will affect her future. Any problems with her family now will pass, but she also has to think of her future family. We found out she has a boyfriend who wants to run away with her. (She's won't) To be sure, we're going to teach the law of chastity next time. Once we teach her something, she always understands, and applies it. So that's good. We're going to move her baptism to the 26th. Elder Jensen last night, when I was reporting, promised she'd get to baptism, but that we just need to have confidence that the spirit will be there when we teach and that the words we speak will reach her heart, and it will all work out. Sweet. I love promises.
 
We taught Manuel y Juliana anoche (MA), and my comp did so good with them. It was a completely different lesson than we've had with them before. She really encouraged them, and I think they'll start progressing soon.  They're really looking forward to our visits now. Manuel asked if he could do anything for us. 

We started teaching a reference, Mili, this week. Young 30s, intelligent, really cool. Single. Does what she wants. (That joke has no meaning in enlgish. There's a song called soy solteraa that's popular here. We'll teach her lesson one this week. I'm really excited to see where this goes. It will be good for sure. She's super open minded. :)
Those were the biggest lessons we had this week. 

I'm just happy here. Sometimes, I feel inadequate next to my companion, but she's so humble, and the Spirit always encourages me that it just ends up being a pássing thought. This cambio will be amazing. President Marler thanked me for my unfailing faith today (Do I even have that?), and that he's anxious to see what Hermana Morales and I will do with the area. So much trust from him! Man, missionary work is way over my head. But I love it. It's sooo fun

Love you all. Have a great week!
Hermana Brogan

No comments:

Post a Comment