Tuesday, September 22, 2015

ONE YEAR MARK, TODAY!!!!!

Okay, this week has been EVERYWHERE. First off, we hiked that mountain
again last week for pday. It killed me. I had headaches in the nights
the next few days, and water wasn't doing it. So I bought Gatorade and
that fixed my problem. Yay gatorade! But it was super nice to sit on
top of the mountain. I love being in high places and seeing
everything. Even though all the buildings are adobe, so the town is
just brown.

We're teaching Amelia a lot more now. My companion has a blast
teaching her. We always come out of the lesson laughing. Amelia is so
flippin stubborn! She has to be right, and she has to contradict us!
But we'll get there. If she converts it will be a true miracle.

News from Jaen, Alexandra is getting baptized this Friday, and is VERY
excited about it! I am SO happy to hear that! Hopefully she'll send me
pictures!

 So one of the guys who walks around the street, the one who always
asks if I speak english, came into a farmacia we were in pday, and he
asked if I spoke english (for the millionth time). So I lied and said
no. Very Christlike... Then he asked if I was from the United States.
I said no again. (I've started to tell random people I'm from
Argentina to see if they'll believe me. Okay, like two people. But
since then he's dropped the english thing! Well, while we were in the
pharmacy, the lady working there, casually pulls out a bilingual bible
and hands it to him. He takes it and walks out. Haha. Then the other
night, he came up to us again and informed us there was an earthquake
in Chile two hours before, and started talking about the end of the
world and stuff. It's always fun to see this random guy.

So my companion has been sick since she got here. With a cough. Well,
it got to her lungs and in her throat more, and we had to go down to
Trujillo Thursday morning to take her to the clinic. Elder Heward (in
the office) also texted us saying we had to come down Friday for me to
sign papers (so I can keep being a missionary in Perù and stuff...).
So we convinced him to let me do it Thursday, no problem. So we headed
off after breakfast, and arrive in Trujillo. We first go to the
clinic. My comp had to get shots (one that day, and we carried two
with us for the next two days in Otuzco that we went to a pharmacy to
put in. She wanted me to do it originally. Yeah? no!) And some sort of
cough syrup, and pills. Since the medication, she's been trembling a
lot. And feeling randomly nervous. SO sketchy. But it's the approved
clinic, and her cough is getting better. So after I called Elder
Heward and he told me to come to the mission office so my comp could
tell them the results of her visit. So we go into the office, and
nobody is there! We keep walking, and we walk into a meeting with all
the office missionaries and President Marler and wife. So awkward. So
they invite us in, and we're talking to President Marler in front of
all of them. SO awkward. So then afterwards, he asks us if we've eaten
yet (it's 11 am. In the mission we eat at 1). So we say no, and he
tells the elders to give us money for lunch in the mall. So they go
and get us 50 soles. That's like a ninth of our food money for the
whole month! Just for lunch! When they handed us the money, my eyes
got super wide. President started talking to me in English (my poor
comp), about how my comp is, how she's doing, if we're using the
heater they gave us (the elders don't get a heater). I told him that
Amelia is a little obsessive about the electricity, and he told us to
use it anyways and the mission will pay more if need be, and then
asked if the elders were treating us okay. SO funny. I don't really
get why the sisters are so spoiled in this mission, but I don't mind
it. :P
So we go get some papers signed and notarized, and then we go to this
restaurant they told us to go to in the mall. By ourselves. On
Thursday. SO much trust. In the Chiclayo mission we couldn't ever set
foot in the mall. But we ate such good food! I felt like I was in the
states. It was so delicious. We joked that it was our birthday or pday
or something. We left a word of wisdom pamphlet on the table. Haha,
missioanry jokes. And we finished up buying McDonald's ice cream. Then
we came back and worked in the evening.

We visited Kati, who was sick with sores in and on her mouth, and her
stomach was upset too, and she was just exhausted. So we taught her
the law of chastity with Efraìn (our 23 year old ward missin leader)
haha. So much awkward. It was fun. But she told us her desires to be
baptized were on the floor. Then I asked her if she'd like a blessing
of health. That night we went with the elders for her blessing.
Afterwards we testified, and as we left, I hugged her and asked how
she felt. She said she felt really warm inside. I explained to her
that's the love of her Heavenly Father for her. It was super amazing.
The Spirit was so strong there. The next day we visited her, and she
still had some sores, but she was energetic, and feeling better, and
everything. Then last night her sores have been healing, and she looks
basically like normal now! :D I love miracles.
Staying on the topic of Kati, last night we visited with her on a
bridge over chicken river. And we taught about work for the dead in
the temple, eternal marriage, tithing, and the sabbath day. (I don't
know why, but we felt like she needed all the things.) So we talked
and talked, and returned to the topic of baptism. She doesn't want to
be baptized for how her family and boyfriend will react. So I asked
her if she was the only person in the world, would she be baptized.
She gave a definite yes. Then we worked a bit more, and got her to
agree to be baptized this Saturday. She's happy about it. And her mind
is just everywhere. But she knows it's right. I am SO excited for her!
She's made some huge lifestyle changes, and she's so happy with the
gospel. She'll go with us to do baptisms for the dead ont he 10th of
October with the branch too. :)

So that's two miracles this week. Also, we were int he middle of
fasting last night for Kati and Amelia. (Kati to accept a date, Amelia
to soften her heart). Now I've had two solid experiences with fasting.
I love the power of a fast.

Also we found a menos activo couple (because they work far away), and
we will be working with them on getting to the temple. Pericles and
Anna. Pericles' eyes were so lit up when we were talking about getting
sealed in the temple. They just need to prioritize church a bit more
so that it can go from a goal to a reality. But we talked with them
about setting a specific date as a goal for them to get sealed. :) It
will be fun to work with them. He's been a member for 17 years and his
wife for 1. They're a cute couple.

Aside from that, my comp and I just keep joking around a ton, and
enjoying the life.

Also, earlier in the week, I was wondering and praying about why I'm
being the best missionary I can be, with the most faith I can muster,
and striving to be obedient, and why I'm not seeing much success. So
then all that I just wrote about happened. So there's an answer to my
prayers. Patience is something I gotta work on I guess. Haha. Oh, but
also, we got a reference from a recent convert. The refernce is
Verena. She wants to be baptized. She has parkinson's, and I think I
actually contacted her my first week in Otuzco... But she's now come
to church twice. (Once since we started teaching her). So she'll get
baptized on the 17th of October. (Only that far out so we have time to
teach her all the lessons).

Okay, I really do think that's it now... Love you all! Have a great week!

Hermana Brogan


With her last companion Mna. McCally

Photo bombing the Elders or is the Elder photo bombing Haley? hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment